Vertente is a wine of great elegance and complexity that combines masterly the fruit and concentration of the Douro wines with the freshness of Niepoort wines.
In 2013, this characteristics became even more pronounced with a clear change of style, where was highlighted the delicate extraction and the great elegance of this Douro wine.
The grapes for Vertente come from old vines with over 60 years, situated on the right bank of Douro river and from a small part of vines with about 30 years planted in river Tedo valley, at Quinta de Nápoles.
The 2014 harvest was slightly lower in production compared with 2013, but certainly made up for it in quality. Harvest began in early September, as usual, in order to maintain the high levels of acidity, balance and freshness. As in the previous year, the early start avoided the rain, later in the month and over ripen fruit in the more exposed vineyards.
After a first selection at the vineyards, a second selection took place on the sorting table. 70% of the wine fermented in stainless steel vats with an automatic pressing system and the remaining 30% in cone-shaped stainless steel vats. The wine aged for 20 months in French oak barrels where malolactic fermentation took place.
With a beautiful violet colour of medium concentration, Vertente 2014 has a delicate profile with mineral and wild black fruit notes. The wood is well integrated, showing some smoked and spice notes. Tense, deep, and with a good structure, it is fine and elegant in the mouth, with a balanced acidity and well integrated tannins.
|Produziert und abgefüllt von||Nieeport Vinhos SA|